Here’s a trestle table base I did in May. The live-edge top was provided by Jonathan Kelsey of JK Custom Woodworking.
I was recently commissioned by Hampshire College to make these awards for Chuck & Polly Longsworth. Chuck was the second president of Hampshire, in 1971, and the college decided to honor him and his wife with these. I made two frog sculptures (frogs are a sort of mascot for Hampshire), each is a standalone piece, but they fit together.
I was set designer and prop master for the short film “SEED” directed and produced by Chris Perry of Bit Films. It’s moving into post production, but here’s some press and photos. We filmed it in the amazing Wauregan Building in Holyoke, MA. I think the film is going to be really beautiful. I can’t wait till we can watch it!
Read about us on Masslive!
The full thing, built by me with help from Henriette Abitz and Mike Martindell . Image is from a day of filming.
Armillary Beehive, 2012
Stainless Steel & Bronze
This is a sculpture for a beekeeper.
Catching up on these, obviously. This one is from an install in the last few weeks — Door handles for Tucker’s in Southwick. I think it came out amazing!
Here’s some photos of rain funnels to replace a copper downspout on a house in Brookline, MA. This was installed last month. The rain makes a great sound and looks awesome as it falls through the funnels.
It’s hard to get hired as a blacksmith. When I came back from Europe, I didn’t quite have the skills to be useful to someone else (they wouldn’t have paid enough for me to get by anyway), but I didn’t want to lose everything I’d gained through travel by taking a ‘regular’ job. I’d been that route, and it didn’t make me happy. Plus, I had loans to pay. So, I started marketing my own work. It’s incredibly hard some days, but I wouldn’t give it up easily.
This adventure of mine is profiled in an article “Entrepreneurship as a last resort” on Slate.com. Check it out!
Here’s more photos of working on the chandelier.
This is the first joint in protruding from the hub had to be fit into the socket in the hub on one end and upset on the other. The sockets were 1-5/8″ and the only sizes of bar we could get were 1-1/2″ and 2″. We took a 1-1/2″ square bar and forged it round. It’s got about the same amount of mass as the 1-5/8″ round bar, so it was perfect.
This here is the shell of the round hub on the right. It’s shaped to approximately a 12″ radius circle, and it will look like a quarter sphere coming through the wall. (Check out the install photos we posted last month.)
The first joint is inserted into one of these sockets that is held in place by a collar. In the picture of the hub above, we are cutting holes for these. Set screws are used to stabilize the arm, to keep it from twisting or sliding in the socket. Each of the arm pieces gets a slot cut in the top to allow for the wiring to move from the hub to the arm.
And here you go! A rather awkward photo of the full hub assembly. You can see the effort we went through with collars and the sockets to get a layered effect. I think it definitely paid off, especially on the left side, which is concave and really needs something to pull it back out of the wall.
Finally, a photo of the backside. You can see the tubing structure as I mentioned in an earlier post. It worked fantastically to create an almost seamless transition between the sphere and the wall. Another detail to note are the two arches. They hold LEDs in the end. The central panel is removable and locked in place with six custom locking brackets that are accessible from the front. Eventually this central panel will be replaced with some form of lens, like blown or stained glass.